Designed for new reality, in the period of social distancing, to highlight disinfecting concerns and deactivation of corona virus with focus on human safety, a webinar press conference was organised by Blue Star on October 7, 2020. Opening the conference session, B Thiagarajan, Managing Director, as panel spokesperson, remarked, Blue star range follows vocal for local because of manufacturing in India for 77 years, and we are fully alive to the ‘Atmanirbhar’ mission. By and large most of the products are manufactured by the company in India.
He elaborated, Blue Star’s new launches and range of products and solutions incorporate Virus Deactivation Technology (VDT) and have capability to deactivate viruses including COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2). The Covid-19 virus can be deactivated with upto 99.9% efficacy when the air passes through these systems. Most of the VDT components have also been designed to be easily retrofitted into existing AC systems, both central and unitary, in the field. These VDT solutions will be useful for all air conditioning applications, be it at homes, ATMs, showrooms, restaurants, offices, or large commercial spaces like malls, cinema theatres and airports. It is pertinent to note that the product is not a substitute to the mandatory precautions prescribed by the Government such as wearing masks, social distancing, usage of hand sanitisers and surface hygiene practices.
Science behind this technology: Tested in Arizona BioDetek laboratory, the project report tested antiviral efficacy against human corona virus 229E with 99.7% kill rate and with two layers 99.999% kill rate. The following components form the critical part of VDT.
- Livinguard Filter: Blue Star offers the ‘Livinguard’ filter which, through its positive charge, attracts the negatively charged viruses including COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2) and other microbes, like a powerful magnet, and completely deactivates them when air passes through this filter.
- UVC Emitters: UVC germicidal properties are useful for disinfection and sensing. UV light with a wavelength range 200nm to 280nm is considered to have germicidal properties meaning it can kill bacteria and viruses.
Blue Star has also integrated Ultraviolet Germicidal Irradiation or UVGI technology into its VDT range of solutions. The UVC emitters that are placed in the air conditioning systems irradiate viruses including COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2) by altering their DNA/RNA. This effectively deactivates the virus present in the air which passes through the air conditioners. New range of VDT products and solutions with retrofitting on existing machines possible:
- Room ACs with Livinguard filter: The virus is deactivated when the air passes through the filter. One of the product variants also assures an air purification level of PM 2.5.
- Room ACs with UVGI: Virus is deactivated when the air passing through is exposed to the UV lamp.
- Ducted ACs with Livinguard filter: Virus is deactivated when air passes through the filter inside the indoor unit.
- Ducted ACs with UVGI: Virus is deactivated when the air passing through is exposed to the UV lamp installed inside the indoor unit.
- UVC Tower with Ozone generation: This intelligent, movable and CE certified UV Tower dynamically computes the dosage required to de-activate the viruses and bacteria. It is augmented by an Ozone generator for full disinfection in difficult-to-reach spaces.
Other unique services and solutions: The company also offers solutions that help improve indoor air quality, disinfect air and surfaces, and augment fresh air in large conditioned places thereby preventing the spread of viruses including COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2) virus, in these closed spaces, be it at home, workplace, or commercial spaces like hospitals and malls, amongst others.
- Duct cleaning: Blue Star is a certified member of National Air Duct Cleaner’s Association (NADCA). The Company’s Air System Cleaning Specialists certified by NADCA, render efficient service every single time regardless of the complexity of the project.
- Hand-held surface disinfectant wand: These solutions decontaminate surfaces infected with mould, bacteria or viruses by using hand-held devices. The wand may be used in any type of residential, commercial, industrial or institutional building to provide a fast-acting, portable method of decontaminating tabletops, walls and other surfaces.
- Portable air and surface disinfectant: Mobile units are equipped with multi-patented, high output UVC technology and is a portable in-room unit.
- Fresh air ventilation solution: Treated Fresh Air Units (TFAs) provide a solution for dilution of the conditioned air with induction of fresh air. The fresh air ventilation system can reduce the intensity of transmission of infection aerosols by dilution of air.
B Thiagarajan, MD, Blue Star Limited, adds, “Virus Deactivation Technology provides additional protection against viruses including COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2), in air conditioned spaces. Apart from being completely safe for humans, the above technology deploys components that are non-hazardous, eco-friendly, proven and accepted across the world. The new range of products and solutions, when used while adhering to the safety protocols mandated by the government, will provide additional protection to human beings inside air conditioned spaces.”