Arrows 5G F-51A is a flagship model of 5G smartphone manufactured by FCNT LIMITED, made in Japan. When its RF modules started generating a constant high temperature, it became a concern of consumer safety. The current design limited the ability to distribute heat evenly within the device causing hot spot issues.
Founded more than 60 years ago by Bill and Vieve Gore, W. L. Gore & Associates, Inc., is an award-winning enterprise that makes industry-leading products while employing over 11,500 associates worldwide. When FCNT approached W. L. Gore & Associates, Inc., with their outlined requirements, Gore engineers offered GORE Thermal Insulation, which can maximize the part to fit into the available space within the device. This product also can contribute to keep high performance longer time than air gap.
Choosing GORE Thermal Insulation helped the company overcome thermal challenges and achieve the following benefits:
- Reduced surface temperatures: GORE Thermal Insulation helped reduce surface temperature around 10C on top of other solutions already designed in the phone for a safer consumer experience.
- Optimized performance: The phone could now run longer in a high performance before needing to throttle compared to air.
- Customized design: Enabled client to maximize the GORE Thermal Insulation part to fit into the available space within the device.
- Thermal expertise & support: With our deep understanding of the client’s thermal challenges and proven insulation technology, we quickly helped the client find the right solution for their new design concept and saved them critical time before launch.
- Supply chain advantages: Leveraging supply chain with a mature product line helped reduce logistic challenges and tight time constraints this new product faced.
- Lower surface temperatures: Reduced surface temperature by 10C on device surface above the RF module.
This solution is for industrial use only. This cannot be used for food, drug, cosmetic or medical device manufacturing, processing, or packaging operations.
Source: W. L. Gore & Associates, Inc.